Saturday marks what would have been R&B singer Aaliyah Haughton’s 37th birthday. The Brooklyn, New York-born artist, who wasMORE commonly known by just her first name, was killed in a plane crash in the Bahamas in 2001.
Haughton, who was born Jan. 16, 1979,RECORDED her first album when she was 14. The album, “Age Ain’t Nothing But a Number,” was produced by R&B artist R. Kelly, whom she was rumored to have married before she was of legal age.
Her second album, “One in a Million,” launched her to stardom when it sold 2 million copies. Haughton’s last album, “Aaliyah,” had just been released, and she was returning from a musicVIDEO shoot when she was killed in the plane crash that left six passengers dead.
To remember the star, we’ve compiled some inspiring quotes from the singer:
1. “KeepWORKING hard and you can get anything that you want.”
2. “I know that people think I’m sexy and I am looked at as that. It is cool with me. It’s wonderful to have [sex] appeal. If you embrace it, it can be a veryBEAUTIFUL thing.”
3. “There are times inMY LIFE when I just want to be by myself.”
4. “All I can do is leave it in God’s hands and hope that my fans feel where I’m coming from.”
5. “There are times I can’t even figure myself out.”
6. “I’m the interpreter. I’m the one who takes your words and brings them to life. I wasTRAINED to sing and dance and laugh, and that’s what I want to do.”
7. “You have toLOVE what you do to want to do it every day.”
8. “I stay true to myself and my style, and I am always pushing myself to be aware of that and be original.”
9. “It’s really a sad story, and I liked that. The songs on this album talk aboutRELATIONSHIPS in every aspect,” in response to her album “Aaliyah.”
via: ICBClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 IAR Magazine